Willet Street Cemetery
1,500+ burials (sometimes spelled
Cleveland's first Jewish cemetery consists of one
acre on the near west side of Cleveland bought in
1840 by The Israelitic Society (later Anshe Chesed),
and an adjacent half-acre bought by Tifereth Israel
in 1850. The address today is 2254 Fulton Road.
Now owned by
United Jewish Cemeteries.
oldest Jewish cemetery. Located on Cleveland's west side, at Fir
Avenue and West 65th Street, it has three
● east (near West 58th) Heights Jewish Center
● center Hungarian Aid Society
● west (near West 61st) Anshe Emeth (Park Synagogue)
oldest Jewish cemetery. Owned by B'nai Jeshurun Congregation
(Conservative). Located in Glenville, then a village, which
became part of Cleveland in 1905. Its two acres cost $1,250.
Address: 13009 Shaw Avenue, Cleveland, OH. More to follow.
2749 Mayfield Road, then in East Cleveland Township. (Cleveland
Heights had not yet been formed.) Bought by Reform congregation
Tifereth Israel. Now part of United Jewish Cemeteries.
The two Reform congregations Anshe Chesed and Tifereth Israel
combine their three cemeteries to form United Jewish
Cemeteries, which continues to operate today.